From a new pod hotel in Whistler to a new luxury ski-in ski-out hotel in Red Mountain, a new winter rail route to Sun Peaks and a host of mountain upgrades and new winter activities: Find out what’s new in British Columbia for the Winter 18/19 season.
New affordable ski accommodation in Whistler and Red Mountain
- Canada’s first ever pod hotel opened this August in the heart of Whistler Village. The Pangea Pod Hotel offers affordable boutique pod accommodations to solo travelers and small groups looking for the privacy of a hotel, but the social vibe of a hostel. Pangea features 88 private pods, unique bathroom design, secure storage for sporting and ski equipment and a rooftop patio. Pods available from £46 per person per night (based on November arrivals). Visit: www.pangeapod.com
- Nowhere Special, RED’s newest hostel, is set to open in December 2018. Nowhere Special will bring a further 82 beds to RED Mountain Resort and is designed for the thrifty, discerning traveller who values community and curation. The modern hostel aims to offer “everything you need and nothing you don’t” and will feature indoor ski and bike storage, a tech-friendly lounge, an outdoor fire pit with two gas grills, and a clean community kitchen all located a mere two-minute walk from the chairlift. Booking availability will be live September 2018 at nowherespecialhostel.com. More information on the project can be found here.
New luxury accommodation at Red Mountain Resort
- The Josie, a new boutique ski hotel in RED Mountain Resort opens on 28 November 2018 for the 18/19 season. The Josie is the first ski-in/ski-out property to be built in Canada for over a decade and will offer a modern look and feel inspired by Rossland’s mining heritage. The hotel also offers spa and fitness facilities and casual yet contemporary dining in The Velvet restaurant, bringing a touch of luxury and 106 rooms to the base of the mountain. Rooms available from £130 per night. Visit: thejosie.com
Ski Safari features the new Josie hotel and is currently offering a 25% discount for those booking before 21st December 2018. Package prices start from £1,329 per person and include return international flights, car hire and 7 night’s accommodation in The Josie on a room only basis. Visit: www.skisafari.com
New ways to travel to the BC mountains
- All aboard the new Snow Train to Sun Peaks – VIA Rail’s ‘The Canadian’. Travel with ease from Vancouver to Sun Peaks, Canada’s second largest ski area by boarding one of the world’s most legendary trains, The Canadian by VIA Rail. Sun Peaks resort has joined forces with VIA Rail to offer a four-night package that sees visitors spend two nights in resort and two nights aboard The Canadian in Winter 2018/2019 when travelling between December and April.
- Strap your skis to an RV: Ski Independence are offering Ski Ready RV’s for the ultimate winter road trip. Providing fully winterized motorhome itineraries from Vancouver and Calgary, Ski Independence’s brand-new winter RV offering allows visitors to BC to plan their dream winter road trip or simply follow the snow. A fully winterized 6 berth 28ft RV is available for hire from £59 per day. To book visit www.ski-i.com or call 0131 243 8097
- Getting to Kicking Horse is easier than ever with a new Shuttle Service. The new shuttle service connecting Calgary International Airport to Kicking Horse will run twice a week, via the Banff Brewster Airport Express. Service runs Wednesday and Saturday from December to March.
New lifts and mountain upgrades
Sun Peaks | www.sunpeaksresort.com
Access to the mountain is even easier this season with Sun Peaks’ brand-new chair lift which will complement the existing Morrisey Express providing new access to the mountain above the East Village Ski Way. More info here.
Big White | www.bigwhite.com
Big White has announced a $10 million investment in infrastructure for the coming season. Highlights include a $3.9 million construction of a new 4-passenger Powder Chair and Expansion of the skier tunnel on the Hummingbird run, which will grow from 25-feet to 60-feet to accommodate increased skier traffic.
Whistler | www.whistlerblackcomb.com
Whistler Blackcomb has announced three New Lifts for the 2018/19 season. Upgrades include a new 10-seat gondola to replace the Wizard and Solar chairlifts on Blackcomb Mountain, a new six-passenger speed lift to replace the current Emerald Chair in the Family Ski Zone on Whistler Mountain and replacement of the triple-passenger Catskinner chair with a four passenger, high-speed lift on Blackcomb Mountain. The changes will create the first three-gondola connection in the world, allowing guests to upload, connect between the mountains via the PEAK 2 PEAK Gondola and download in a gondola for a weather protected experience.
New winter activities
- Swap skis for a rod and join Elevated Fishing Adventures on a new Guided Ice Fishing excursion in Sun Peaks. More info here.
- GET LOST Adventure Centre to make exploring the Kootenay Rockies even easier this Winter. RED Mountain’s GET LOST Adventure Centre will showcase a range of activities year-round, provide access to vetted guides and offer an easy-to-use booking system to ensure visitors can tap into the beauty of BC’s wild Kootenay’s safely. More info here.
- Explore More with Backcountry Heli-Ski Trips from Kimberly Alpine Resort. Joining forces with Boulder Hut Adventures last season allowed ski touring to come to Kimberley Alpine Resort. This year, guests can stay at the 4.5 star Trickle Creek Lodge (located in the base area at Kimberley Alpine Resort) and walk right onto a helicopter, with new heli pick-ups from the resort. This service opens up over 15,000 acres of untracked terrain to explore in the Purcell back country.
Lift pass news:
Resorts of the Canadian Rockies (BC resorts: Kicking Horse Mountain Resort, Fernie Alpine Resort and Kimberley Alpine Resort) are now accessible to Epic Pass holders. Find more information here
For more information on Destination British Columbia, visit: www.hellobc.co.uk